CBS just released their first trailer for their new DC product, Supergirl. I have some brief thoughts:
1. This trailer is SIX minutes long.
2. WOW that was a harsh strike for Feminism there! “If you don’t like it, you are sexist and wrong and evil. Want to watch our show now?” I understand what they are trying to do – get ahead of the genuine sexist nonsense guaranteed to come in wake of this release – but swinging this strongly this early compromises the trailer’s ability to market the show. I don’t really want to watch this, for numerous reasons…and I should feel bad because of that?
3. They kept the “it’s not an S” thing….
4. Is this from Hallmark? The emotional journey they try to take us on! I’m all for a trailer being its own work of art, and for trailers telling their own stories. But this? This is too much – it feels pandery, trying to appeal to a presumed “Female Market” while showcasing enough action to keep male viewers interested. It undercuts its effectiveness to all markets and further complicates the gender politics they are navigating.
5. Despite all of my snark, I really do hope this succeeds. I don’t care if the show lasts 20 seasons and spawns two movies, but I do want it to show Hollywood that people are willing to support content with female leads. Happy for once to say DC is beating Marvel to the punch.